Author Topic: ARB LINX  (Read 564 times)

JayJay

• Administrator
ARB LINX
« on: November 02, 2017, 06:38:23 PM »
New product announced by ARB

The ARB LINX from what i can gather is a central control unit designed to manage your accessories such as light bars, compressors and diff lockers, all this is managed from a smart phone which is supplied with the kit and can be used wirelessly via bluetooth or hard wired to the control box via USB

Extra modules can be added to control air powered equipment such as compressors, tyre inflators, air lockers and most intresting to me Air Suspension

https://linx.arb.com.au/

What are your thoughts? I am seriously considering buying a unit on launch as it seams the perfect air management system and the only one i have found which i have liked so far

2007 Toyota Hilux Invincible Double Cab

frozenstarz

• Seagull-Expedition
Re: ARB LINX
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 10:02:05 PM »
it does look quite nifty, is there a back up way deal with diff parts if the module fails? I'm sure quite a lot of ppl will comment to say another elec issue to go wrong but I'm open to seeing how it goes. any prices yet?~
2003 landcruiser j120 lc5: 2in lift, tough dog rear shocks, front led spotties.grabber AT2's 265/70/17

L200-DC

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 11:28:38 PM »
Certainly looks interesting and if you are running air suspension, twin air lockers, on-board air for tyre inflation, additional batteries, additional lighting etc then I can appreciate this could be a neat, low-key single control unit.

Otherwise, there is a slight sense of "a solution looking for a problem" but I'm sure I would feel differently if my dashboard was a mess of switches and displays.

My guess is LINX uptake will be a question of the cost of the individual control units. 

JayJay

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 06:49:18 AM »
No UK price as of yet but I have seen reports of 795 Australian dollars including local tax

There is no mention of a fail safe from what I can see but it wouldn't be too hard to implement your own fail safe but then are you defeating the point of the LINX in the first place by adding switches just in case?

There is a similar product that has been out for a while called the S POD but that hasn't got the air management ability

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Stevie-J

• Administrator
    • UK-Overlanders
  • CB Handle: Tub Thumper
  • CT Call sign: 26CT2362
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 07:57:23 AM »
That is basically a phone driven version of what Raptor did with Race steering wheels a while ago. Very clever concept indeed until you phone dies or gets lost. i cant see a failsafe overide for the unit. Never the less a clever idea for trucks that have very little in the way of switch mounting positions

I would prefer a small flat touch panel with 1 cable running to the main relay box rather than a phone like the Add-on-*

http://www.4x4spod.com/product_p/8-700-ts-c10.htm
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 08:09:15 AM by Stevie-J »
Toyota Landcruiser 80 series VX

JayJay

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 08:05:40 AM »
The only kind of fail safe I have been able to find is the fact the auto settings such as light bar turns on with high beam will work even with out the phone on

Losing the phone is a troubling thought as there isn't  3rd party version of the app to download on your own phone as a back up as of yet

If I do decide to go ahead then I might install a couple of fail safes into the air system especially the air suspension which I can keep tyre valves onto simply enough

All depends on the UK release price at the end of the day

SMHinthewild

• Mostly Confused
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 08:32:39 AM »
Interesting but scary ? - I know that the new Air Lockers can be engaged when rolling but it would still scare me that at 70MPH on the motorway I could inadvertently do that from my phone when looking for my next 1980s driving gold playlist! -  "back in the day" 1990 Kenya -  I had a US spec FJ60 with the front and rear lockers under red missile covers on the dash just in case of accidents with fat thumbs and inquisitive passengers.

I think JayJay is right that the price will decide if this is becomes a regular addition or luxury geek product.

Being a bargain basement kind of bloke I have been using this very simple remote control switch/dimmer on my wilderness LED camp lights for a few years now (they fry bunnies at 50 yards and are too bright to sit out with) and have just moved it into the L200 set up so I totally get the reason why this kind of gadget is needed/wanted. - but this was ?5 quid not ?500

Think I am missing the point ! 
L200 Series 5 - Slowly facing life without a Defender 110

JayJay

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 08:38:32 AM »
Interesting but scary ? - I know that the new Air Lockers can be engaged when rolling but it would still scare me that at 70MPH on the motorway I could inadvertently do that from my phone when looking for my next 1980s driving gold playlist! -  "back in the day" 1990 Kenya -  I had a US spec FJ60 with the front and rear lockers under red missile covers on the dash just in case of accidents with fat thumbs and inquisitive passengers.

I think JayJay is right that the price will decide if this is becomes a regular addition or luxury geek product.

Being a bargain basement kind of bloke I have been using this very simple remote control switch/dimmer on my wilderness LED camp lights for a few years now (they fry bunnies at 50 yards and are too bright to sit out with) and have just moved it into the L200 set up so I totally get the reason why this kind of gadget is needed/wanted. - but this was ?5 quid not ?500

Think I am missing the point !
The phone is only able to run the dedicated ARB app so essentially you can't use it as a normal phone I believe

But what your saying is true, an easy fix would be to program the phone to only engage lockers below a certain speed for example 0mph haha

I am reserving main opinion untill UK price is released

JayJay

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 01:05:03 PM »
A write up on the LINX from SEMA 2017

https://www.4x4australia.com.au/news/1711/arb-linx-unveiled-at-sema-2017