Author Topic: Plans for the New Year  (Read 761 times)

Stevie-J

• Administrator
    • UK-Overlanders
  • CB Handle: Tub Thumper
  • CT Call sign: 26CT2362
Plans for the New Year
« on: January 01, 2018, 09:33:13 AM »
Well thats all the festive celebrations gone for another year.

What has everyone got planned for 2018 and who got what for Xmas that they have yet to fit?

I have joined the Travel Buddy Oven club and got myself one of the 12V Ovens which are highly rated in Australia. Now to work out where to fit it.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 11:46:22 AM by Stevie-J »

Toyota Landcruiser 80 series VX

Mark B

• I am 50% engineer & 50% Family Man
  • Global Moderator
Re: Plans for the New Year
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 12:13:12 PM »
I have found that tesco ready meals are the best  YEAHHHH
''Engineering is about finding answers to problems that don't create further problems''
----Genius is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration----

frozenstarz

• Seagull-Expedition
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 03:45:09 PM »
I was given a dutch oven and recipe book, so need find a way to use it without burning up the lawn, any suggestions as we are quite tight on open fire pits here? I gotta try the aussie damper iv seen done so many ways.
2003 landcruiser j120 lc5: 2in lift, tough dog rear shocks, front led spotties.grabber AT2's 265/70/17

Stevie-J

• Administrator
    • UK-Overlanders
  • CB Handle: Tub Thumper
  • CT Call sign: 26CT2362
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 03:55:41 PM »
You can always look at the Petromax BBQ, not the cheapest option but it does take a dutch oven and has legs which lift it off the ground

Toyota Landcruiser 80 series VX

neilh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 12:28:17 PM »
Plan for this year is to do more work on the trailer and (maybe!) get the damn Jeep running! Hope to get out for more camping trips this year too - not sure where the time went last year!

JayJay

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 04:09:39 PM »
This year for me is all about Truck TLC

No trips as the Hilux needs abut of money spending on it again although we are going on a package holiday to some Greek island to keep Charlotte happy

Biggest projects are going to be the rear bumper redesign in Aluminium and a home made suspension airbag controller

I was looking at that ARB LINX product. It after finding out it's going to cost me ?800+ I decided I could accomplish the same with a Raspberry Pi and about ?200 of air components

So that's me for this year at least

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

2007 Toyota Hilux Invincible Double Cab

Mark B

• I am 50% engineer & 50% Family Man
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 06:35:05 PM »
Most of redesign plans for the  truck have been completed over the xmas holiday, next and hopefully last is the new ally roof rack, all designed just needs welding together. Only new things have been good storage boxs and a new 270 degree awning. Holidays are booked all ready at work got several long weekends planned and route planned for the trip to southern europe taking in the german show along with Austria and the switz alps. On the way back up though france stopping off at a mates place for a couple of days. Will be booking the ferry in the next few weeks to get a good deal  on prices as P&O feŕrys are doing a 15% discount code  GOODO
''Engineering is about finding answers to problems that don't create further problems''
----Genius is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration----

Overland Tonka

• Mines a pint..
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 01:52:41 PM »
The New Year started for us in Morocco... with Guided tours booked we will be busy taking people around here.

Then six months visiting Mauritania, Mali, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso and Togo...

It's a tough life, but someone has to do it..   :)
Which was nice...

caspoint220

• Just gee it a bash!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 12:34:59 PM »
Thats it, i have given in....... I am 90% sure i am joining the RSI family...... its just, well, easier! with a 12 (if i remember correctly) week lead time from Dara @ TT i should be ordering in time for a June arrival. The RTT will then mount to it. I put the feelers out for my current canopy and there is sufficient interest for me to have a quick sale!

I have also been watching alot of youtube channels the most helpful is the relatively new Europe Overland. Those guys have a great set up and the videos i think are awesome. They also save quite a bit of money by prioritizing the main stuff and building the rest. So i have re-taught myself SketchUp and have started to design a removable shelving system for the pick up bed. Keeping my original priority of the truck remaining as multi task worthy as possible.

Work sees me busy till late June, so Overland wise we have a Pyrenees trip (8 days) lined up, a couple of long weekends also in the truck. Then Cyprus, Thailand and Japan (to keep her happy) and a couple of music festivals (to keep me happy) If i can squeeze more in i will! 
"There is nothing in the world that cannot be fixed by the proper application of violence and explosives!"

SMHinthewild

• Mostly Confused
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 05:22:39 PM »
Would defo recommend the RSI. Really well made canopy.

I really like the security aspect so you can leave the truck full of your camping gear in service stations on the way south with a bit more peace of mind and security

The wilderness scenelights also fit really well under the gull wings so that when they are open  you have a good camping set up light. - I have one on each side

Not sure where you are geographically - but PM me if you need any further convincing !!  dogsbollocks
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 05:24:25 PM by SMHinthewild »
L200 Series 5 - Slowly facing life without a Defender 110

caspoint220

• Just gee it a bash!
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 07:27:54 PM »
aaaaaw that just makes it better! I have 4 of those lights, bought um when the where on deal i do want to mount them on the canopy somehow but didnt even think of under the gull wing! How have you attached it? Just with the sticky foam pad it comes with?
"There is nothing in the world that cannot be fixed by the proper application of violence and explosives!"

SMHinthewild

• Mostly Confused
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 08:48:59 AM »
The gull wings have a supporting bar inside which is hollow and there is room to run the cables behind. Both from each ends of the supporting bar but mine also has a hole in the centre so there are options.
However there was not room for a nut for a bolt. BUT - the material is very strong.

If you drill with a new/sharp 6MM bit into the raised internal rail (not the flap) then the allen bolt supplied with the lights will  "thread" into the steel runner and tighten. (don't overtighten)
Also take care that the bolt supplied is not too long and pressing against the gull wing flap. I used a couple of extra washers inside the lamp body to reduce the length of the bolt by about 2mm.
I didn't want to cut the bolts shorter as I was just testing the idea.

I fitted a home made 3mm thick neoprene rubber gasket behind them to take some of the vibration and they are rock solid (and still are) - excuse the RSI pun ! YKM

I planned to use some Loctite Threadlocker on the allen bolts after testing for a few weeks but to date they have remained fixed.

Like you I bought those lights on the 2 for 1 offer  M4I but had no idea where I was going to use them.

They will of course light the interior of the canopy when the flaps are closed (see picture) but they are TOO bright for me (600 lumens) and so I have also fitted LED strips beside them as the interior lights

« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 08:53:20 AM by SMHinthewild »
L200 Series 5 - Slowly facing life without a Defender 110

caspoint220

• Just gee it a bash!
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 09:45:04 AM »
what a quality piece of kit! ill pm u lol so we dont overtake this thread!