Bolingy

Author Topic: Looking for a new RTT  (Read 343 times)

JayJay

• Administrator
Looking for a new RTT
« on: June 12, 2018, 09:25:41 AM »
Hi all

Due to the new trailer project being for "base camp" style trips we are looking to make our Hilux set up alot quicker when we arrive at camp

Don't get me wrong our soft shell RTT packs away quite quickly now we have somewhat mastered the technique but a few horrible mornings on the NC500 trying to pack away the RTT in the pissing rain at 06:00 made me think it would be worth investing in a hard shell RTT which would make the world of difference when hopping from one campsite to another over two or three weeks

I want to avoid GRP fiberglass if possible for a couple of reasons first I want to use the roof space to mount a couple of solar panels and second I want the confidence that it could take abit of a knock if I miss judge a low hanging tree

I also want one that pops up both sides, the clam shells look great for set up and strength in the wind etc but the extra bit of head space you get with a pop up is essential as this is going to be an area of privacy to use as a changing room

I quite like the look of the bundutec electric pop up as you can't get much easier then popping 4 latches and pushing a button but not sure on the added failure possibly of the electric winch

Other then that the rest I have seen are either the wrong shape like the Alucab offering or made out off GRP fiberglass

So have you guys seen anything that would tick all the boxes?

Thanks

Jay

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

2007 Toyota Hilux Invincible Double Cab

Overland Tonka

• Mines a pint..
Re: Looking for a new RTT
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 11:18:10 PM »
Don't really understand your "Head space" and "Changing room" comment regarding Alu cab type rtt??
Which was nice...

JayJay

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 06:38:17 AM »
Don't really understand your "Head space" and "Changing room" comment regarding Alu cab type rtt??
Well clam shells only hinge from one side so you only get the full height at one end

So I would only be able to sit upright in one perticular section of the tent which would make it abit uncomfortable

Overland Tonka

• Mines a pint..
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 11:00:12 AM »
Well clam shells only hinge from one side so you only get the full height at one end

So I would only be able to sit upright in one perticular section of the tent which would make it abit uncomfortable

Have you tried them out to see?? TBH the Maggiolina type has less head room than Alu cab type. Being that we live in a Alu cab type RTT and not just for a few weeks a year, i can't think of anything better for so many reasons. Plus we have no problem sitting facing front, rear or side to side. As for very very high wind and rain there is no better RTT. For us the normal RTT was fine for 3 years and we only changed coz our SA bought Alu cab type cost us £550 brand new and fitted... for the cost of this type of tent in the UK i wouldn't bother for a few weeks a year, moving from place to place most days is there a need for a solar panel fixed on the roof? We park up for weeks on end and need the panel on the roof to stay off grid..Maybe think of upgrading when you do a longer trip??...or maybe you have too much cash to burn!..haha.
Which was nice...

frozenstarz

• Seagull-Expedition
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 05:19:55 PM »
is the RTT for the trailer or the hilux?
if the hilux, pending how you are on custom work iv seen some canopies with the roof chopped and a clam style raising system kinda like the camper vans so you make the rear your living space. similar to the AT habitat in US.
2003 landcruiser j120 lc5: 2in lift, tough dog rear shocks, front led spotties.grabber AT2's 265/70/17

JayJay

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 06:11:33 PM »

Have you tried them out to see?? TBH the Maggiolina type has less head room than Alu cab type. Being that we live in a Alu cab type RTT and not just for a few weeks a year, i can't think of anything better for so many reasons. Plus we have no problem sitting facing front, rear or side to side. As for very very high wind and rain there is no better RTT. For us the normal RTT was fine for 3 years and we only changed coz our SA bought Alu cab type cost us £550 brand new and fitted... for the cost of this type of tent in the UK i wouldn't bother for a few weeks a year, moving from place to place most days is there a need for a solar panel fixed on the roof? We park up for weeks on end and need the panel on the roof to stay off grid..Maybe think of upgrading when you do a longer trip??...or maybe you have too much cash to burn!..haha.

At its peak the Alu cab tent has more head room yes but that quickly tapers off which means I can only sit in one position, I would prefer constant level of head room over a massive amount one end and next to nothing the other just my preference.

Rough weather was a concern but the bundutec has had decent reviews in rough winds and rain due to the surrounding skirt I have yet to find any definitive reviews on the other types yet other then the clamshells

The need for the upgrade is that it was taking a lot of time in the morning to get going especially if we got in late, tie in some horrible wet weather pack ups at 06:00 its worth the investment simply to not put a downer on the rest of the days traveling. Doing that every single day of a 3-4 week trip was soul destroying

We have alot of power needs, in additon to the stereo typical overlanders power draw (Fridge, Camp light, Phone Chargers Etc) we have camera equipment to keep going which can only be charged by inverter, we have enough power reserve to last an afternoon/night of camping yes but its not great for the batteries to be consistantly drained down then up then down etc the solar will take the brunt of the power consumption and then the batteries will take up the slack

Why not shore power i assume the next question will be? Well we tried the whole making sure we have a power point at least every other night but it was A. and additional cost (£5 per night for 15-20 nights quickly adds up) and B. The campsites we like to visit are not really the type that has shore power points

we are thinking of doing longer trips hence the upgrade in equipment as well as more frequent nights out on the island which a quick pop up then will allow us to use areas were we wouldnt be able to pitch a soft cover RTT mainly due to technical law reasons

JayJay

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 06:15:22 PM »
is the RTT for the trailer or the hilux?
if the hilux, pending how you are on custom work iv seen some canopies with the roof chopped and a clam style raising system kinda like the camper vans so you make the rear your living space. similar to the AT habitat in US.

Its for the Hilux, our TT RTT will be fitted onto the trailer for trips were a "Base Camp" set up would mean we stay in one area and explore around with the hilux

That would be a good idea but I cant sleep in the back of the pick up bed it isn't long enough to be comfortable, I tried this when we first got the Hilux but I would have to leave the tail gate down which would mean I would have to set up some kind of tent cover over the tailgate which by that point I may as well of just set up a RTT haha

frozenstarz

• Seagull-Expedition
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 10:59:04 PM »
yes fair enough, possibly sounds like something a troopy or 110 would be ideal for, gets 5 seats and the room for some sleeping inside if required, plus they do the pop up roofs :P have you looked at tuff trek? their ezy pitch hard shell looks ok but pricey. or they have the hybrid auto compass series which seem a mix of the hard shell set up but canvas material,
2003 landcruiser j120 lc5: 2in lift, tough dog rear shocks, front led spotties.grabber AT2's 265/70/17

Overland Tonka

• Mines a pint..
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 08:54:33 AM »
Truth is there is no ideal RTT..there is always compromise.
Bundertec long team..no bloody way. I viewed these in South Africa and only saw problems as time goes by. Ok for playing at overlanding.
Maggnolina type... high wind problem and fibreglass. Plus small windows.
So, what does that leave you with???....something that takes 2 sec to open and 5 sec to close, ability to mount sand ladders and solar on the roof, tough shell, high wind and rain proof, large windows for cool nights in hot weather, mount storage bags on the roof inside the tent....  HMM
Which was nice...

JayJay

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 07:57:01 PM »
yes fair enough, possibly sounds like something a troopy or 110 would be ideal for, gets 5 seats and the room for some sleeping inside if required, plus they do the pop up roofs :P have you looked at tuff trek? their ezy pitch hard shell looks ok but pricey. or they have the hybrid auto compass series which seem a mix of the hard shell set up but canvas material,

Sorry only just seen this, we have been looking at the new TT Ezy Pitch too. I think we are going to have to take a trip to AOS in September to get a feel for the options before we make a decision

JayJay

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 08:25:49 PM »
Truth is there is no ideal RTT..there is always compromise.
Bundertec long team..no bloody way. I viewed these in South Africa and only saw problems as time goes by. Ok for playing at overlanding.
Maggnolina type... high wind problem and fibreglass. Plus small windows.
So, what does that leave you with???....something that takes 2 sec to open and 5 sec to close, ability to mount sand ladders and solar on the roof, tough shell, high wind and rain proof, large windows for cool nights in hot weather, mount storage bags on the roof inside the tent....  HMM

I don't quite get what you mean by "Playing at Overlanding" there are a fair few people out there on YouTube alone that are constantly on the move that use a Bundutec Tent with no problem what so ever

The only problem that could haunt the bundutec is the electric winch packing up but you can put them up manually if that happens, even if a cable breaks which is not likely then all you lose is the canvas automatically deploying but the tent is still useable

If a gas strut goes on a alu-cab clamshell your abit screwed especially if you have the full 50kg capacity on the roof, weighing in at 80kg empty its abit of a lump too especially when your paying £3200 UK for the privilege. Couple that with no rain gutter style protection and limited internal space due to the shape, to me it seams ok but not really worth it

As an engineer I have seen more gas struts fail then winch and pullies, yes you can always carry spares or even try and source one locally but that's no good when you discover your tent wont stay up at 22:00 after a long days drive

A perfect tent for me would be a pop up style tent with an aluminium skin and some sort of protection from the elements while still being able to keep ventilation but with little/no moving parts, hence the topic

Seeing as its £500 cheaper and better suiting my need the Bundutec is still in the running until something more suitable comes along

frozenstarz

• Seagull-Expedition
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 09:35:35 PM »
maybe pop to tuff trek and see if they will let you get a hands on for various styles as they seem the best company offering a wide range of styles and makes now in the uk.

Overland Tonka

• Mines a pint..
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 07:54:29 AM »
Sounds like you have a RTT that suits you....Bundertec it is then.
Which was nice...

Padster

• Not all those who wander are lost...
  • CB Handle: Overlander Cafe
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 03:17:06 PM »
Hi Jack,

With all your fabrication skills, please can you build me a tray back for Playing at Overlanding?

I have a base model, it even has a 450kg payload... A new section on the forum for micro machines aimed at entry level stuff for us novices. What do you think?

It's even a left hand drive model, trans Canada here we come.  I like the idea of a RTT too 😁😁😁

Bundertec is definitely on my radar... LVIT

Pads

Sent from my Sofa :)

JayJay

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 08:26:09 PM »
Hi Jack,

With all your fabrication skills, please can you build me a tray back for Playing at Overlanding?

I have a base model, it even has a 450kg payload... A new section on the forum for micro machines aimed at entry level stuff for us novices. What do you think?

It's even a left hand drive model, trans Canada here we come.  I like the idea of a RTT too 😁😁😁

Bundertec is definitely on my radar... LVIT

Pads

We are actually looking at one of them for off road/closed road events for patient transport, You can actually get mini ambulance bodies for them!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKshLnnj8Cw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKshLnnj8Cw</a>

Although we are looking for the simple asket carrier like this one

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGHW4DCcVkg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGHW4DCcVkg</a>

Wouldnt take much to convert a amubulance body one to a camper ;) haha