Bolingy

Author Topic: Jen's Pancake and Waffle Shack!  (Read 955 times)

neilh

• Global Moderator
Jen's Pancake and Waffle Shack!
« on: June 26, 2017, 01:27:07 PM »
For some time now we've been kicking around the idea of getting a trailer.
The roof tent we have now is fine for the wife and I to go away - but if we want to go out for the day we have to pack everything up which is a bit of a bind.
If we take my lad with us then we can't all fit in the roof tent so we take the larger family tent. That gives us flexibility for going out during the day - but the Navara ends up rammed with every bit of available space used up!

So we'd decided we needed more space for family trips. Our ultimate goal was a nicely set up expedition-style trailer - but those are pretty pricey to buy and my fabrication skills aren't up to building one!
We'd pretty much decided that we'd just get a basic trailer for the moment - purely to give us more room to pack what we needed - and see where we went from there.

...and then something popped up for sale...

...and it was 5 minutes down the road...

...so we went to have a look...

Mat builds trailers as a bit of a hobby and this one was set up with a roof tent and awning with a split level interior.
After chatting to Mat about a couple of modifications - we'd bought a really nicely built shell to start our trailer journey with :)

Those that have been camping with us before know that the wife (Jen) cooks some cracking pancakes for breakfast and after teasing Steve with a picture of a pile of stainless bolts he sent through a cracking picture (not knowing we'd bought a trailer!)

So here it is - Jen's Pancake and Waffle Shack!

A couple of pictures from when the trailer was being built:

The nearside only had a front hatch where we plan to have the fridge slide out, so we asked Mat to fit a large hatch for the kitchen area.

The rear door covers the whole width and provides some shelter by opening up. We've fitted an additional towball on the door for mounting the bike rack - unfortunately this overpowers the current struts so we need to replace those with stronger versions.

The top "floor" goes as far as the front hatches whilst the lower goes the entire length.

Aside from the fridge going in the front and the nearside hatch being a kitchen area we already know we want at least power and water.
There's a handy gap between the front hatch and the side hatch on the offside so by putting the 12v and 240v gear in that space we can box it in without blocking access.

We also know we want to box in the kitchen area to provide some shelving or drawers, so the first task has been to add some additional ali angle bracket to allow us to fit some marine ply to start to box in.

...and that's as far as we've got in the week we've had it :)
The plan is to get some of the 12v stuff installed as that's a given, then we'll use it as-is for a bit to try to work out what we want to go where and what "feels" right.
The kitchen area got christened on the forum meet last weekend and worked a treat :)

Uncle Ray

Re: Jen's Pancake and Waffle Shack!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 02:41:04 PM »
This is my OZ tent fixed to my trailer
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 07:11:27 PM by Stevie-J »

JayJay

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 07:09:28 PM »
Brilliant find there Neil

I think we are going to eventually go down a similar route but we are right for parking space at the moment

Keep us updated guys!

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

2007 Toyota Hilux Invincible Double Cab

Stevie-J

• Administrator
    • UK-Overlanders
  • CB Handle: Tub Thumper
  • CT Call sign: 26CT2362
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 07:12:30 PM »
It was a nice trailer Neil sorry Waffle shack.

Look forward to it looking like Rays which I can only describe as a mobile Premier Inn  w00t
Toyota Landcruiser 80 series VX

Mark B

• I am 50% engineer & 50% Family Man
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 09:08:32 PM »
Its the  dogsbollocks
Take your time and think about the fit out. I have changed my canopie 3 tumes in 1 year.  YKM. Now i am happy with the lay out. Hopefully i will be first in line for saturday breakfast at the OAS
17. at jens waffle shack
(P.s. dies she k ow you have posted that picture 😂😂😂)
@ steve Jackson. Have you started jens camp fire cooking section  section  😉😉😉😉
''Engineering is about finding answers to problems that don't create further problems''
----Genius is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration----

neilh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 03:08:04 PM »
I think we are going to eventually go down a similar route but we are right for parking space at the moment

It's a bit of a squeeze on the drive now  YKM

Take your time and think about the fit out. I have changed my canopie 3 tumes in 1 year.  YKM. Now i am happy with the lay out. Hopefully i will be first in line for saturday breakfast at the OAS
17. at jens waffle shack

Yeah there's a few bits that will come on relatively quickly (like power) that we know now we want to fit. The rest will take a little time to work out I think. In particular what we do for cover/sleeping.

(P.s. dies she k ow you have posted that picture 😂😂😂)

Jen doesn't "do" forums remember - so I'm safe for now  DTTW

neilh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 03:22:26 PM »
Minor updates and tinkering so far.

Jen's kitchen worktop installed:

Mocking up the electrical components that will be visible/accessible:

Plan is for much of the wiring and interconnection to be hidden behind the wood panel (which will be covered in carpet once I've worked out where things are going)

Mocking up the kitchen side of the front locker (thinking of having a drawer between the oven and fridge):

Fun, fun, fun  :P

Mark B

• I am 50% engineer & 50% Family Man
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 06:56:36 PM »
Looking good neil, just make sure you have plenty of air flow around the fridge and a possible air vent for fresh air to come in. Will help the fridge to run better
''Engineering is about finding answers to problems that don't create further problems''
----Genius is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration----

JayJay

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 07:03:35 PM »
Like the oven placement

Good work!

neilh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 02:20:44 PM »
Not huge amounts of progress so far - slow and steady!

I picked up a cheap sheet of plywood to use to mount things initially. This way I can make holes and move things around without having to worry about getting it spot on first time.

I think the solar controller is a bit too high up at the moment - but I can move it later :)

I've gone with the Victron battery monitor which is a nice, compact unit with a 500A shunt. I've also gone for the bluetooth module for it which lets me look at the data without getting up from my chair  TFB

Still, that's all the wiring for this board complete (for now!) with connections heatshrinked and key ones labelled. I've got the Andersons for the fridge and oven ready to go plus another one to connect the solar panel input to internally. I've also put in Superseal connectors for the lights I know we're starting with. That allows me to easily disconnect this entire board and remove it if I need to - once it's in place it's going to be trickier (but not impossible) to wire up additional bits and pieces so being able to remove it will make life easier.

I still need to cut a big hole in the trailer to fit the external electric hookup box and we need to design the kitchen area to work out where the switch panel will live for that, but it's coming along  M4I

Next up I need to visit Steve to work on rewiring my existing solar panels to remove the built-in controller  :P

JayJay

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 05:09:10 PM »
Steve is becoming a one stop shop when it comes to electrical equipment haha

Good progress Neil!

neilh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 12:29:23 PM »
Well the board has gone back in the trailer for now - need some space in the garage!

That also allowed me to wire up and fit the internal LED strips above the two doors at the front and above the kitchen hatch:

From this night shot you can see they throw out plenty of light to be able to work with.

There'll also be an external LED strip that shines on the kitchen "worktop". We'll also have additional lighting on the rear door and internally - but we need to decide what the layout will be before we can put that in so that'll come later.

I've also had a play with a small push-to-break door switch which I've then hooked up to the ground wire for the switch illumination. That means that with the doors closed I'm not wasting ~0.1 amps on lighting up the inside of the trailer with the switches. Every little helps  YKM

neilh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 02:04:48 PM »
A frantic push to get the trailer ready for AOS was broadly successful :) Didn't quite have time to sort everything on the list - need to work out how to retire I reckon  YKM

A few of the external trimmings got prepped and sprayed:

"Kitchen" external light fitted and wired up

Big holes cut in shiny new trailer for external plugs/sockets  HLLP

Electric hook-up plug and solar panel socket wired up to internals and working as hoped  TFB

Mains wiring for fridge added. This allows the fridge to automatically run from mains instead of battery where 240v is available.

Couple of power outlets fitted at the rear so we could charge phones/iPads as necessary

Couple of plywood boards thrown in to protect the wiring from bags and boxes

Last bit was the Foxwing awning going on

neilh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 02:19:04 PM »
...then load up and head to AOS  TFB M4I

It was always going to be fun - we've only had a couple of trips out with the trailer and we'd made a lot of changes! One of the biggest changes was switching our family camping from being a large "typical" family tent plus the Navara to being the trailer plus Navara plus Oztent. Due to running out of weekends we ended up at AOS without having actually set up the Oztent stuff in anger  AWMN

...just to really make life interesting it was dark when we arrived.

...and raining...

Still, it didn't go up too badly and given it was our first effort (and dark) we were pretty pleased with how quickly it went up. Fortunately in the light of day the next morning it didn't look as though we'd put it up for the first time in the dark  YKM

AOS was fun as usual, lots of interest in the trailer and set up and a great chance to see how things worked out.

Being able to attach the RV5 to the awning was great - and having the side panels and front really made for a nice space. The tapered sides for the Foxwing create a huge amount of space which made it feel really roomy. The downside is that there are gaps where the panels and sides don't meet. We had a good chat with Karen from Bustle About and have some in-fill panels being made up so look forward to seeing how those go.

We also need to cut a hole in one of the sides for the flue for the frontier-style stove we bought at the show  M4I

The solar panels worked a treat and kept the battery topped up nicely. I've had to do a little rewiring since as I realised that I'd put the negative side of the controller (and battery charger) on the wrong side of the battery monitor shunt. Not a particular problem, it just meant the monitor didn't see what was flowing into the system as well as out.

We definitely need a fridge slide so that's next on the list. We also need to work out lighting for the awning and tent. We probably need a couple more trips to decide what we need where for that one!

All-in-all a good run out and good test of most of it - nothing failed or broke which is always a bonus  YKM